So I thought pulling up this blog after five years would make me cringe, but really it only made me appreciate my youthful gusto (does it seem like I worked out everyday? I can’t even remember, but you go girl.) and my persistent love for internet memes. I guess that’s what happens when you are no longer in high school and are secure enough to admit that you’re blogging in bed in the dark with a kleenex shoved up your runny left nostril while heavily mouth breathing (thank you, cold).
Speaking of the internet, while technically not a meme, this is the most amazing thing I’ve seen on it all week: Why are pandas endangered (sorry in advance if you are particularly sensitive to the plight of the panda). P.S. Apparently pandas poop up to 40 times a day. Wow, it’s a wonder they even have time to climb trees. Maybe this is a lesson for humans? Forget stool softener; just go straight to the bamboo aisle. P.P.S. Apparently female pandas only ovulate once per year and are only fertile 2-3 days per year. Maybe that’s why they’re endangered?? Okay, sorry Ling Ling, I’ll stop talking about things I know nothing about now.
Back to the last five years. Some stuff has happened!
1. My team at work was relocated to Seattle. I.e. we were politely told to move to a state with no sun or find another job. I chose the latter and transferred internally (to the MOST STRESSFUL job in the world. For someone that doesn’t often utilize her tear ducts, this job brought me to tears, multiple times. And almost once in the office. It was ridiculous.).
2. We bought a house. It was built in the 1960s and was entirely original (helloooo pink bathtub and woodgrain toilet seats). We vowed to redo it ourselves over time. I got creeped out (partially because the toilet bowl that accompanied that woodgrain toilet seat was so wide that I was afraid I was going to fall in every time I peed), and we ended up hiring people to redo the entire interior a few months after moving in. No sweat was shed during this process.
3. We got a puppy! His* name is Bailey, and he is now 2.5 years old. He also has a Facebook page. *We thought Bailey was a boy’s name. After correcting 99.9% of the general public, we’ve discovered that apparently it is not.
4. I left that stressful job for a new one at an entirely different company. And I like it. Minus the commute. Don’t even get me started on that. But still a huge net positive. Phew.
5. After nine years of scoping me out, Denis deemed me a suitable life mate, and we got married. The wedding may have been justalittlebit Harry Potter themed, and it was a magical gathering of our favorite muggles (Denis, don’t groan. I know you are groaning right now. Stop it!).
6. I turned 30. It was very anti-climactic. I was eight months into a pregnancy that was marked by nine months of unrelenting (but, fortunately, mostly vomit-free) nausea. Regardless, it happened. And it was not traumatic.
7. Seven weeks ago, we had a child. Holy smokes. Her** name is Brooke. I’m currently on maternity leave and am thinking that this blog may be a good “adult” outlet for me. Kiddo is cute and lovable and all, but homegirl ain’t talking back if you know what I mean. **Totally double checked the gender before finalizing the name this time around.
This is Brooke at one month. She likes us a lot.
Okay, time to cat nap before Brooke needs my milk cans again. Pictures and more ramblings to come in the future!